There is no longer a beach in North Beach. The name was born in the 1850’s when a finger of the bay extended far inland between Telegraph and Russian Hills and the neighborhood was a sunny stretch of shore. Many worlds intermingle in North Beach now. What was once known as “Little Italy,” has become a melting pot of Italian, Chinese, Hispanic, Japanese, Indian, and other pocket communities. Central in the exciting ethnic mosaic is the church of SS. Peter and Paul which traces its original foundation to 1884. The first location of the church was on the corner of Filbert Street and Grant Avenue. The San Francisco fire and earthquake of 1906 razed this structure to the ground.
The present church, with its twin lofty spires that soar 191 feet into the sky, was completed in 1924. For over a century, the church of SS. Peter and Paul has served parishioners, charmed the numerous tourists who visit it daily, and has been an inspiration to the members of the North Beach community. A ribbon of verse from Dante’s “Paradiso” spans the facade and translates:
“The glory of Him who moves all things penetrates and glows throughout the universe.”
This mosaic inscription placed just above the three entrances to the church connects the four large pillars upon which rest the symbols of the four Evangelists: Matthew (An angel), Mark (A lion), Luke (An ox) and John (An eagle). Original plans, regrettably laid away to rest, called for spectacular outdoor mosaics covering the entire facade. The twin spires (191 feet) have become a landmark in the area. The church is 100 feet wide and 160 feet long. The magnificent rose window measures fourteen feet in diameter.
Original church built
Earthquake and Fire which destroyed original church
Current Church Built
The church that stands now began construction in 1913.
Joe DiMaggio marries Dorothy Arnold
Legendary baseball player Joe DiMaggio married in our church.